Saturday, June 6, 2009

Like an egg

I used to think I was a relatively smart racer. And that I was something of a climber. Wrong on both. I felt great at the start of the race, but I wasted a ton of energy for no reason, and by mile 70 I realized I was done. Got popped with 6 miles to go, chased back on then got popped again. At least I dropped the three guys that wouldn't pull through for the 3 miles before the steep part of the climb. Came in somewhere between 15 and 20, and probably lost a top 10.

In my defense, most of my wasted energy was marking the guy that eventually got away and won. Were it not for the 20mph headwind, it might not have hurt so much.

My pre-race analysis was that my best chance to do well was the first stage. Turns out I was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment